Thursday, October 12, 2006


A year ago today I pushed a 10 pound, 4 ounce baby out of my vagina.

It's my son's first birthday today and all I can think about is how much pain I was in exactly a year ago. So I'm sorry, but I'm going to "reminisce" for a moment. Like many of you new mommies out there, when I was in labor I fell victim to what some might call the "devil." In other words, pitocin. After 8 hours of walking and 14 hours of labor I had dilated from 3 to 4 cm. So inevitibally the devil was pushed into my system. And me, thinking I could handle it without medication... Sure... I shaked uncontrollably from the horrific pain. I mean HORRIFIC. If you haven't given birth naturally, I encourage you to do it! You'll never be the same. Ever since my son was born, I've never looked at pain the same. You could probably cut my finger off and I'd be totally fine because all I would have to do is remember the pain of child birth and it puts everything into perspective.

So anyway, back to birth... One episotome, 3 tears, a face full of broken blood vessels, (as you can see above) and 22 minutes later, out came my little man. Well, not SO little. But littler than say, uh, a baby elephant. I was aghast to find out that my 7-8 pound baby that was promised to me by my doctor turned out to be 10 pounds and 4 ounces. It's not even like he was in there too long. He was only one day late. And at my 5'6" 140 pound stature, that's a pretty HUGE baby. Maybe it was all the protein shakes and extra vitamins I took whilst pregnant.

I have to say though, the coolest part about childbirth was after his head was out. It was the neatest feeling when the rest of his body came out. I could feel each of his arms and legs inside of me as the passed through. It was absolutely amazing. It's kind of like when you're pregnant and the baby kicks you or puts his arm or butt somewhere you don't want it to be. But when that happens, you can't REALLY tell what body part it is. But as he was coming out of me, I could tell exactly what body part was where. It was wicked cool.

Afterwards the doctor stitched me up while I held my new baby boy. There is one thing I would definitely change about the whole hospital experience... well, the stuff that was sort of in my control. After I was all stitched up and the nurses were cleaning Spencer, the family rushed in. My mom, my dad, my husband's mom and dad. That's the one thing I would have like to have changed. As soon as he was clean and weighed, they gave him to the grandparents. I really wished I could have had more time with just me, my husband and our new son. I wanted more time to bond immdediately after. I mean, I had plenty of time later, but it's that first hour I really wish I could have back. I guess there's always next time.

1 comment:

Kerri Anne said...

So, um, I'm comment-stalking you, apparently, and also I am few months late, but what's better than receiving birthday wishes all year the year round, right? Well, beside the most awesome birthday cake known to man, which, well, you already baked for him because I saw the picture?

The answer: Nothing! Or: Oreos! (Answers to be used interchangeably.)

Happy! One Year to your beautiful boy.

Loves.